What is SEA Lab? Location, goals and benefits
The « SEA Lab Innovation Center » is an open innovation platform enabling the promotion of global solutions for monitoring and management of crisis situations (civilian, military, maritime and coastal sanitation) based on cyber-secure technology, big data, connected smart objects and interaction between man and machine to explore new usage inspired by other sectors not just naval. It will host the shared digital core of the System Factory project, dedicated to the industry of the future.
Innovation Lab at the heart of the mediterranean
The Technopole de la Mer, created and developed by TPM ( Toulon Provence Méditerranée), is the first science park in Europe focused on maritime safety and security and the sustainable development of the sea and coastal areas based on high-tech from « System Factory » Regional project. It is divided between the principal site at Ollioules dedicated to the underlying cross sector digital core and a marine base at La Seyne-sur-Mer for experiments.
The Toulon Region: Fertile ground
Toulon is the principal military port in Europe and the main naval base for the defense of the Mediterranean with major armed forces capabilities. Toulon’s naval military history began in 1679 with the Royal Navy and continues today particularly with the development of the Technopole de la Mer (Marine Science Park) where both the NAVAL GROUP SMC and the headquarters of the Pôle Mer Méditerranée are located. Today, 30,000 people work in the defense sector of excellence in the Toulon Provence Méditerranée (TPM).
Large companies, high tech SME’s and cutting edge infrastructure are at the very heart of the Toulon agglomeration’s economy. The annual GDP on defense is 1.1 billion euros across TPM. This fertile ground allows the emergence of a cross sector base project “System Factory” involving the naval, aeronautical and risk sectors addressing the defense and environmental markets, supported by the Pôle Mer Méditerranée in association with Pôle Safe. This project contributes to the positioning of the Provence Alpes-Côte d’Azur Region as a Smart Region and a European Leader in dual technology.
What goals does S.E.A Lab have?
- Be a performance lever dedicated to business competitiveness
- Accelerate the arrival of products to the market
- Maximise reuse of existing components through the use of a library of software bricks
- Encourage trusting co-working and open innovation between SMEs and Decision makers
- Pool testing capability between air and sea partners to promote the fulfilment of « Sea&Air proven » certification
- Reinforce links between the academic world and entrepreneurs
The « S.E.A.Lab Innovation Center », at the heart of the Technopole de la Mer, will represent the physical aspect of the « System Factory » project, with the implementation of an accelerator for innovative industrial projects with 270 m2 of modular space which will lead to the creation of sustainable employment.
What will be the benefits for the Provence-Alpes Côte ‘Azur Region?
- Create and sustain employment (10,000 jobs associated with System Factory 5,000 of these jobs with the Technopole de la Mer)
- Develop regional appeal and attract talent
- Develop youth training to meet business needs
- Make the Provence-Alpes-Cote d’Azur region a showcase of French excellence in the digital sector (critical software) and in applied data in the naval and industrial sectors
What are the target markets?
- Maritime and global security
- Maritime transport and ships of the future
- Environmental exploration and monitoring
- Exploration and sustainable exploitation of marine resources
Aerospace and Energy markets will also benefit from the S.E.A. Lab platform.
A base of solid partners
SEA Lab benefits from dynamic regional industry and its complementary partners NAVAL GROUP and IFREMER. Along with them the platform will bring together the different economic and academic players. S.E.A.Lab will categorise the products and skills in the ecosystem and act as a market-place.